Connie Sison is getting her mornings back. The longtime Unang Hirit co-anchor marked her last day on the show Tuesday after a 13 year-long stint.
“Ipapaalam ko lang po na ako po ay nagpasya na ito na ‘yung last day ko, actually, dito sa Unang Hirit bilang UH kabarkada,” said Sison at the end of the show. “Nagpasya po ako at ang pamilya ko na magretiro na para pangalagaan ang aking kalusugan at siyempre ang aking bunso na talaga namang matagal nang nagrerequest.”
While she’s vacating her post at the Kapuso breakfast show, Sison will continue with her other programs at GMA Integrated News and Public Affairs, namely Balitanghali, Pinoy MD and One on One: Walang Personalan.
Sison, 47, joined Unang Hirit in 2007 as part of its unbeatable tri-anchor team, along with Arnold Clavio and Rhea Santos. At the show, she not only had a chance to deliver the news and talk to newsmakers, but also do on-site reporting from time to time.
Among her most memorable reporting are the Royal Wedding in London, Manny Pacquiao’s bout with Floyd Mayweather, and her superb coverage of the Manila bus ban.
When asked about her experience being part of the country’s longest-running morning show, Sison told us in 2016 that it was the “great and wonderful people I work with every day” that made waking up at 3AM a whole lot easier.
“I think Unang Hirit remains on top because of the genuine friendship that translates the real camaraderie amongst the hosts to our viewers. It’s hard to fake that level of sincerity, especially in the morning,” she said.
A young news veteran, Sison has also headlined programs for QTV-GMA NewsTV, including News On Q, DoQMentaries and On Call.
Previously, she was a news anchor for RPN-9 and also at ABS-CBN, where she first became a household name.
Sison is an MNP media winner for the years 2013, 2015 and 2019.
Watch the video below (segment starts at 2:30:40) :